Monday 13 February 2012

The thing you've all been waiting for- Lliana Bird interview



I emailed Lliana Bird (Xfm DJ) and asked her a few simple questions about Radio, her favourite artists/songs, and how YOU can get into radio... Enjoy. (:


Hey Birdy, just a few simple questions about being your job and how people can 
become a Radio DJ if they wish (: 

 1. What made you aspire to be a Radio DJ and what motivated you to achieve this?

i've always been a massive music lover and i had a job for a while doing PR for bands but i really hated the work and didn't like not having an actual product of my own. I wanted a job where I could create something that others could enjoy and i've always been a big talker, so radio seemed the perfect option.  

2. Who would you say your main influences are and why?

Radio wise it would have to be Lauren Laverne - when I first started on work experience I did spent some time with her on her breakfast show and i was blown away by how quick witted, savvy, funny and musically clued up she was. She made me realise that its not just men who can get the big jobs in radio, or who are allowed to express their personalities on air. A lot of women in radio are there as sidekicks to the main male presenter and tend to giggle a lot and make the men look good. Lauren was nothing like that, and it was incredibly inspiring for me. 

I have a lot of other influences in the music, film and art worlds but that would take pages to answer!

 

3. What are your top 3 songs and who are your top three artists?

I hate this...because it really is sophie's choice! 
I would definitely have to include Syd Barrett 'Terrapin', Henry Mancini 'Moon River', Black Lips 'Dirty Hands' and Camille Saint-Saens 'Aquarium' from Carnival of The Animals. 

Artists....aaahhh....so so hard... i couldn't pick just 3 when xfm asked me, this was the list i sent them: The Velvet Underground, Peggy Lee, Black Lips, Henry Mancini, The Kills, Francoise Hardy, Blur, Lucy Pearl, Patti Smith, Buddy Holly, Camille Saint-Saens, Love, Kevin Ayers, Tame Impala, Syd Barrett, Medelssohn, Meat Puppets, The Flaming Lips, Joni Mitchell 

4. If you weren't a radio DJ what would you've been instead?

Well i already do a few other things - I act in theatre productions as much as i can, i trained as a silversmith so i make jewellery as well, and I produce plays when I can....(oh dear, I'm clearly a total jack of all trades, master of none! haha ) but one thing I hope to do in the future is train as a psychotherapist. I've done a bit of training already but hopefully i can continue and get my doctorate one day.  

5. Name someone you'd love to interview on your show but haven't been given the chance yet and why?

Syd Barrett, he was an incredible poet, a true genius, he wrote my favourite lyric of all time, but sadly that could never happen now. 

6. Who's been your favourite guest(s) so far and why?

I interviewed Daft Punk once (without their helmets on!) and they so rarely give interviews, and so rarely without covering up their faces, and I spent a few hours with them just talking about everything and anything. That was a really special experience and they were incredibly interesting and intelligent guys as well which always helps! Iggy was amazing as well, he's just such a huge life force. 

7. What advice/tips would you give to those who'd love to be in your shoes one day? 

Work experience, work experience, work experience! You can always get experience on community radio stations, hospital radio and school/ uni radio. And volunteer to make tea at a station you love and then work your way up slowly. If you're helpful and hard working and good company to be around you will eventually get noticed and rewarded for your time. And listen to loads of music, and radio DJs you admire. Think about the style of DJing you like and listen to what they actually say, how they construct their links. The best Djs will make you feel they are just having a casual conversation with you in the same room without any effort at all but usually a lot of thought and work goes into getting that style it so have a listen to what they are really doing...

Hope that helps! lotsa love, birdy xxx

So guys, I hope this has informed and entertained your eyeballs. It's surely entertained mine! You can tune in to Lliana Bird's radio show every Saturday from 3-7 and every Sunday from 3-6. (: 

No comments:

Post a Comment