Wednesday 15 February 2012

Sue Denim- RiD and Sue Denim solo project interview- Enjoy

Sue Denim, of all girl indie-dance-electro-chanson-rock trio Robots In Disguise, has recorded her debut solo album. It's called And The Unicorn, and features songs about bikes, books, boys and unicorns. There are vague plans to release it in May - watch this space!
Photograph by: Emli Bendixon- http://emli.co.uk/2012/01/sue-denim/


So I asked Sue Denim a few questions which are musically based. Sue is singer and bassist for RiD and she's also working on her new solo project which is self titled. Enjoy.

1. What made you so interested in singing and bass? 
I have loved singing since I was a kid, but I didn't start playing the bass until I joined my first band, a year before Robots In Disguise started.

2. Who would you say musically your main influences are and why?
 Musically, my influences are all over the place. I love everything and nothing! I am influenced by my  family, my dad played folk guitar and ran the local folk club and sang folk songs all the time, then I also loved The Beatles (half my family are from Liverpool, it made sense), pop music, and later indie and dance... at the moment I am listening to a lot of Absolute 80s radio!!!! 

This is a tough question but one that we are ALWAYS asked! 

In fact, could you just read a load of interviews and collate the answer from them? If you would!



3. When did you and Dee decide to make the band ‘Robots in disguise’?

Me and Dee were in an all-girl 4 piece garage rock band very briefly in 1999 before splitting off from that to form Robots In Disguise which we launched into the universe in 2000.



4. If you weren’t a singer/bassist what would you’ve been instead?

If I weren't a singer/bassist, I'd be a singer/guitarist/one-woman-band, and if not that, I would be a painter, and if not that, I would like to be a bird of paradise. 



5. Where’s your favourite place to play in Europe?

I love playing in Istanbul - the crowds are great.. but most of all, they have HAMMAMS!



6. What’s your favourite genre of music?

I don't have a favourite genre of music but I could make one up for you... how about Hammam-rock?



I wish Sue good luck for her solo project, to hear one on her songs click the following link: http://soundcloud.com/thevelvetonion/sue-the-unicorn-brewster

No comments:

Post a Comment